In order to have a stable system you MUST understand what the latest release
means... if you introduce this into your build you have no control over what
actually ends up in it. As an end user this is not a huge deal directly
except when people start using RELEASE/STABLE in libraries in the main
repositories....

What is the latest "STABLE" release? it really depends on your use case.
Perhaps a better solution would be to add more metadata into the repository
releated to outstanding issues in jira for a particular release. You could
then say i would like the latest build with no bugs or critical issues or
just no critical issues

With RELEASE you end up using the latest released code of every project and
the shit hits the fan, you might as well build all the projects from source
yourself!

i vote a big (non binding ;-) -1 for MNG-2431

if you really want to have an unstable project then use the [0,) range but
don't encourage people with nice looking tags...

Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]