I would think checking out from the tag, and then running release:prepare from that would work fine for you in this case. It will create another tag, but that shouldn't be a problem, since you probably want to keep one tag "nightly x/x/x" and then another tag "release x.x.x" even though they have basically the same code. There's nothing in the release plugin, as far as I know, that says you have to be working from trunk.

Benoit Decherf wrote:
Image that we are working on the trunk. Every night a nightly snapshot is created and deploy on a test servers and automatic tests are run (they can last 4hours for a project).
on date 04 feb. every tests passed.
on date 05 feb. some tests are broken.

But on 06 feb we want to make a release (to install in prod). The dev started on 05 feb are not finished, and so the nightly of 04 feb should be released. To do so, I suppose that release:prepare should be executed from the nightly tag of 4 feb to remove all snapshots dependencies, tag the release with an official tag, etc... The release prepare should create a branch from this tag to do it ?

Benoit

Kalle Korhonen wrote:
I don't understand what you are asking. release:perform doesn't do anything
else but runs deploy (and site-deploy) on the newly created tag; after
release:prepare, the release is already cut. If you want snapshots, why
don't you just deploy uniquely versioned snapshots nightly?

Kalle