On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Dirk Olmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Milos Kleint wrote:
>  > check the toolchains proposal that is supposed to address this issue.
>  >
>  > http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Toolchains
>
>  The way the toolchain proposal chooses is somewhat doable with Maven
>  right now: define a set of VM specific properties in each developers'
>  settings.xml and use that in the config of the various plugins.

toolchains also ensures that any plugin that understands toochains
will ue them, thus instead of configuring compiler-plugin,
surefire-plugin, javadoc-plugin etc. you just configure the toolchain.

>  What I don't like about the appraoch is that one has to hand-maintain
>  the properties/toolchain.xml still. If I update my JDK, I still have to
>  remember updating the settings or the build will break.

oh well, what do you mean by "update my jdk"? the default jdk you run
stuff with on your computer? that's a scenario that works even now. If
you don't configure anything in maven but make sure you run with the
jdk you want, you're safe. The toolchains proposal tries to separate
the jdk you run maven build with and the jdk that shall be used to
build your project. That's essential in embedded environment for
example.

Milos