Andreas Guther wrote:

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this issue and get the classes
back on the path under Surefire 2.4?

This is a somewhat frequently asked question, so I've written a wiki article about it:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Classloading+and+Forking+under+Maven+Surefire

Executive summary: useSystemClassLoader changed between Surefire 2.3 and Surefire 2.4. The default was useSystemClassLoader=false, but now the default is useSystemClassLoader=true. If you're having problems, try turning it back off to see if that helps.

I've also written another article about classpath ordering (not relevant to you, but it has come up a few times):

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Classpath+Ordering+Bugs+in+Maven+Surefire

-Dan