On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:42 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So there seems to be 3 possible conclusions:

At least, yeah.

> - There is any easy way to make these kinds of cascading releases, but we
> just don't know about it

I don't know of one, but if there is, happy to hear it.

> - There is a better way to structure our Maven projects so this doesn't
> happen in the first place (keeping in mind that we are happy with how the
> code itself is architected currently)

Probably partially true.  Some things I've considered:

   - When it's entirely internal, possibly living with a snapshot version.
   I don't like this, because it reduces the reproducibility, but it would
   simplify.
   - Try and ensure that most common code is extensible to the point that I
   don't need to modify the upstream projects frequently.  So, for instance, if
   I had a common web-testing framework for the company that was in 1.1
   (web-testing-1.1) used by my enterprise project (enterprise-project-1.0),
   and I wanted to alter a class in web-testing, I could do so with a subclass
   that's specific to enterprise-project-1.0.   I could release e-p-1.0 without
   releasing a new version of w-t, and when I feel like the change is stable
   and ready to migrate upward, I could release a w-t-1.2 release at my
   leisure, then migrate e-p to take advantage.

I'm sure there are other possibilities in this vein.

- This is just the way it is, so we should get used to it

If you can live with that answer, my first instinct is that it's at least
partially true, yeah.  Curious to see other responses.

  - Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey Wiseman