Just an observation from today when RELEASE didn't work for us.

I was at someone's desk who normally build's the parent pom we are
trying to reference as RELEASE. His last build of the pom or perhaps
every build to his local repository is done without mvn install
-DupdateReleaseInfo=true (so false.) The dependent project failed to
build due to not resolving the RELEASE version. He rebuilt the parent
(corporate pom) with -DupdateReleaseInfo=true and then it worked.

My guess is that when RELEASE version is being resolved it finds the
artifact in the local repository but doesn't find the release metadata
and fails.
Perhaps, while resolving RELEASE all configured repositories need or
should be consulted... Seems like that doesn't happen. (first find fail)