After reading the documentation here:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-report-plugin/examples/report-custom-location.html

It seems like outputDirectory customization is only designed to generate the
html file somewhere else. Generating xml/txt files in a custom directory
seems not supported.

May I ask why are you trying to do this?

If it really annoys you, feel you to file a feature request in the
maven-surefire-report-plugin tracker.

Cheers.