Closing the loop, and hoping for a logic check to make sure my thinking is
correct.  I was able to make this work by:

1. Creating an IoServiceListener on my acceptor
2. The IoServiceListener creates a Thread that iterates over all of the
IoSessions in the ManagedSessions map
  if an IoSession.getLastIoTime() is greater then a specified time period
old, call session.closeNow()
3. in the IoServiceListener, when the service is destroyed, shut down the
idle check thread.

Experimentally, this solution is working well.  But I wanted to see if you
had any feedback or something I was missing?

Thanks
Marc