Right, but the second time you've clicked on the link, the page has
been redrawn, the component tree updated, and the request map reset,
etc, so that doesn't really eliminate any possibilities.  :)

If you're using a hardcoded action literal string, then yes, you can
eliminate the navigation manager cause.   If you're not using rendered
in the link or any of its ancestors, you can eliminate that.   If
there's a UIData component in the ancestors, that's the likely cause
-- you need to preserve the backing data model between requests.