Where does it say archived means deprecated ?
After NB701 CVS removed from core and made a plugin.

I have looked at the link - here is what it says.

 Information About NetBeans IDE Archived Modules and Features

Some features available in earlier versions of the NetBeans IDE have been removed. The FAQ links below offer more information about options for developers who want to continue using these technologies with NetBeans IDE.

   CVS

After NetBeans IDE 7.0.1, support for CVS is moved from the standard distribution of the IDE to the Update Center. To work with CVS in the IDE, download and install the respective module using the IDE's Plugin Manager. Please see CVSSupport <http://wiki.netbeans.org/CVSSupport> for details.

-Gary