It would be pretty extraordinary for something to be doing that to monospace fonts. It would have to be some kind of very deliberate feature ("auto-kerning"?) which would be generating a lot of complaints more broadly. I'm suspicious about your tabs / spaces. Could some setting there being doing something you don't expect? Could your 46 and 49 be including one or more tab? Have you tried turning on "show unprintable characters."