I think I found a better solution, for me anyway. I managed to reinstall Netbeans 8.2 and so far have reverted the one project that was causing a problem and everything now works as expected, including removing libraries as well as debugging libraries. Suddenly life is good again.

Having been retired almost 20 years now, I have limited my projects to Java and html. I will keep NB 12.0 for html since I recall it working better but all my Java will probably be going back to 8.2 as the need arises.

Long Live Ant.

Bayless