Anil,

It sounds like what you are interested in would be some combination of
the referenceable process groups [1] or worm-hole connections [2],
which were ideas that were discussed, but haven't been implemented.

You might be able to make your situation slightly better by using the
NiFi Registry instead of templates...

As an example, you could design a stand-alone process group for your
retry logic and place it under version control in the registry. Then
you import this flow from the registry into various points of your
overall flow.

You could then go back to the original standalone process group and
make a change to the logic and save version 2 to the registry. At this
point all the other places you imported it to will show an upgrade and
you can change their version to v2 to bring in the change.

It still requires manual upgrading of all the versioned process
groups, but at least they are all tied back to the same version, where
as templates are not linked to anything once they instantiated.

-Bryan

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Reference-able+Process+Groups
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Wormhole+Connections