Hello

The Flow Registry is designed to deal with challenge #1 as far as versioned
flows go.  For the extensions themselves you'll really want to take
advantage of the nar versioning capability since versioned flows can use
specific versioned extensions.  Once we make an extension registry happen
that will be even easier.  In the mean time just merging old nars/new nars
for extensions in the lib folder or another is perfectly fine.

For challenge #2 you'll need to have some sort of merge script which uses
key names as a point of comparison and for new property keys you add them
and for old property keys no longer present you can remove them.  Generally
though this is not a problem in practice as the nifi.properties have tended
to port extremely well from version to version.  Some vendors that do as
you're describing also offer additional services using things like Apache
Ambari or Cloudera Manager to help manage some of that as well.

Thanks