John,

If you’re running a proxy in front of NiFi, you will definitely need to
configure some sort of session stickiness. Otherwise you can run into other
issues as well. For instance, some "asynchronous requests” like updating
variables, etc. may intermittently fail because the request creates a “request
object” in the background that is temporary and then polled by the UI, and that
resource exists only on the node that the request was made to.

Thanks
-Mark