Gareth,
It still seems like the -javaagent is not taking effect.  What version of
the surefire plugin are you using?  If it's 2.3, you might be hitting the
problem in this Issue:  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-297.  The
initial description sounds exactly like your situation.

Can you run your maven script with debug (-X) to see exactly what jvm
arguments are being passed to the process?

Sorry that I'm still grabbing at straws, but I have not been able to
reproduce the situation yet.  I run with a javaagent for most of my testing
and haven't experienced this problem.

Thanks for your patience,
Kevin