Michael -

> While I still wonder about why detaching my entities doesn't reduce my
heap memory usage
You didn't mention what level of code you are running on, but if it is >
2.0, it might be a bug. Try setting the following property: <property
name="openjpa.Compatibility" value="CopyOnDetach=false"/>

> also wonder whether there is a possibility for a query to return detached
objects in the first place?
I'm not aware of one. That doesn't mean the capability doesn't exist, I'm
just not aware of it :)

> Calling detach() for every object looks to be rather expensive
Correct, in some of our performance testing we have found that detach is
quite expensive. I put in a property LiteAutoDetach which is in place to
quickly detach the entire persistence context, but unfortunately this
optimization isn't available for detaching single instances.

I know I missed an email you sent to this list a number of days ago where
you were asking a very similar question. I don't want to derail this thread,
but have you looked at large result sets[1]? The might simplify some of your

[1]
http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/latest/docs/manual/manual.html#ref_guide_dbsetup_lrs

Thanks,
Rick

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:06 AM, Michael Pflueger
<michael.pflue...@sma.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While I still wonder about why detaching my entities doesn't reduce my heap
> memory usage,
> I also wonder whether there is a possibility for a query to return detached
> objects in the first place?
> This might be quite efficient for scenarios where you need to read lots of
> data but not update it or need any other features of a managed entity.
> Calling detach() for every object looks to be rather expensive, and above
> method would not only avoid that but could possibly avoid some attachment
> overhead aswell.
>
> SMA Solar Technology AG
> Aufsichtsrat: Guenther Cramer (Vorsitzender)
> Vorstand: Juergen Dolle, Roland Grebe, Uwe Hertel, Pierre-Pascal Urbon,
> Marko Werner
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Kassel HRB 3972
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: 34266 Niestetal
> USt-ID-Nr. DE 113 08 59 54
> WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 95881150

*Rick Curtis*