Honestly, I haven't had time to try to run with your customer handlers...

I have been looking ProxyManager code and trying to recreate the initial
stack you posted. Here is a small test you can run to see where it is
blowing up:

XMLGregorianCalendar cc = null; // instantiate me!
OpenJPAEntityManagerFactorySPI emf = (OpenJPAEntityManagerFactorySPI)
getEmf();
emf.getConfiguration().getProxyManagerInstance().newCustomProxy(cc, false);
// this line should fail for you

I haven't been able to recreate the failure on my machine because
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.datatype.XMLGregorianCalendarImpl is a final class
and
org.apache.openjpa.util.ProxyManagerImpl<eclipse-javadoc:%E2%98%82=openjpa-kernel/src%5C/main%5C/java%3Corg.apache.openjpa.util%7BProxyManagerImpl.java%E2%98%83ProxyManagerImpl>.generateProxyBeanBytecode(...)
skips trying to create a custom proxy for final types.

Thanks,
Rick