> Are there any plans to add it?
No.... that being said this is open source and all of the source is
available[1].

 I'll note that the MySQL dictionary has similar support for different blob
types[2], but not for String types. If you wanted to make a change for all
supported databases that would be a larger effort that just adding support
for MySQL.

Good luck!

Thanks,
Rick

[1] http://openjpa.apache.org/source-code.html
[2] org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.MySQLDictionary
<eclipse-javadoc:%E2%98%82=openjpa-jdbc/src%5C/main%5C/java%3Corg.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql%7BMySQLDictionary.java%E2%98%83MySQLDictionary>
.getTypeName

--
*Rick Curtis*