I don't think my previous comment was entirely correct.

> OpenJPA 2.3.x and trunk should be functional with java8, but I don't
think you can build OpenJPA with java8.
Java 8 works with 2.2.x and trunk. I can't say for certain about the 2.3.x
branch... that is maintained by the TomEE folks and I can't recall which
changes they did / didn't pull in to support Java 8.

Thanks,
Rick

--
*Rick Curtis*