On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 11:48:44 -0500
"Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Allen Aldridge wrote:
> > I am using an HP PC with Apache Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows 7.
> >
> > I have deleted the soffice.bin on numerous occasions and changed the user
> > to user.1 - user.7
> >
> > Sometimes I can get a spreadsheet up, but for the most part Office will not
> > even open.
> >
> > On my latest attempt I tried to open OPENOFFICE.
> > Document Recovery comes up and shows that Untitled 1 is not recovered yet.
> > Start Recovery is hit and the file shows RECOVERED
> > NEXT is then hit
> > Open Office opens up
> > I then try to FILE OPEN
> > Document Recovery opens
> > Due to unexpected error Untitled1 is not recovered.
> > the OPEN FILE page comes up and is locked and the only way to unlock it is
> > to open Task Manager and delete soffice.bin
> >
> > Please give me some idea of how to fix the incompatible error in my system.
> >
> > Understand that i have removed the OPENOFFICE from my system and
> > re-installed and that before I upgraded to your new 3.4.1 it worked fine.
> > I have a user name at ad...@yahoo.com and tried to file a report, but I
> > apparently don't understand your system for reporting.
> >
> > THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP
> >
> > Allen
> >
> > Allen D Aldridge
> > ad...@yahoo.com
> > 252-240-1425
> > 107 Hoffman Beach Rd
> > Atlantic Beach, NC 28512-5914
> >
> Allen;
>
> Please read the Release Notes:
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.1.html#AOO3.4.1ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues
>
> Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 manage the user profile differently
> than previous versions. The old user profile is automatically converted
> so that users can keep their extensions and settings. In a minority of
> cases, especially with highly customized profiles (many extensions or
> customizations) the conversion doesn't succeed. Common symptoms are:
> frequent application crashes, problems with dictionaries or thesaurus,
> OpenOffice starting and crashing after a few seconds. To solve this,
> just reset/rename your user profile as explained in the official
> OpenOffice forum.
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426
>
> Regards
> Keith

Keith: the change in User name is sufficient to cause a new profile be
generated, so  that should rule out a user profile problem.

@Allen: have you any continuous backup system running?  Comodo (for example)
has been known to cause crash problems when it touches OpenOffice files.  It is
worth starting OpenOffice with no file, going to /Tools /Options
/OpenOffice.org /Online Updates and turning off any checks for online updates.
It may be best to completely restart OpenOffice after this, including its
Quickstarter (often easiest to Power down/10 second delay/up the computer).

If you start Windows in Safe Mode (F8 when "Starting Windows" message on
screen), is OpenOffice stable then?  If so, the problem is almost certainly
caused by some interaction with another program running in the background.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>