Don,

I guess you're talking about the word completion feature.
Go to the menu Tools>AutoCorrect Options and in the last tab (Word Completion),
disable the feature.

Please post this kind of question to the users mailing list instead of the dev
mailing list.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the mailing
list.
Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at:
<users@openoffice.apache.org>
Replies to my personal email address will be ignored.

Since you are not subscribed to this list you may not see all the replies to
your query.
To subscribe Apache OpenOffice mailing lists go to:

For user support you can also use The OpenOffice.org Community Forum:
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/

Regards,
Hagar