At 06:46 04/03/2013 -0800, Nancy Street wrote:
When I go to Tools... there is not an OPTIONS heading? It starts off as Spelling, Language, goal seek, solver... where would the options be?

Usually at the bottom of that menu, but it's absent in one circumstance. Read on.

I have entered the formula correctly... I've even had my very nerdy friend come over and he is stumped as well. Somehow the cell IS interpreting it as text and not giving the answer (the answer IS in the Page preview and also on the bottom ...but NOT in the cell.)

The conclusion from that is the opposite, in fact: if you get the right value at all, the formula must be working, so it must have been entered correctly. The problem must be my first suggestion: that you have the options set to display formulae, not results.

I even went as far as trashing the program and re downloading it... but the same thing happens.

That makes sense as well: option settings are stored in the user profile, which is intentionally preserved across any reinstallation or upgrade.

I downloaded it onto my laptop and it works fine...

... where you have a separate - possibly default - profile without this setting.

... but not on my iMac.

Aha! That's the clue. Apparently in Mac OS the options are accessed through a different menu. Go to OpenOffice.org | Preferences | OpenOffice.org Calc | View | Display | Formulas and remove that tick.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker