On 05/22/2013 10:13 AM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
Have you extended the life of an older PC or Mac by installing
OpenOffice and other open source packages?
The issue of making old computers (or *any* computer) usable is to
install an actual *operating* system (i.e. one that *works*) as a
replacement for that pathologically non-operating system Microsoft (Not
Responding) (TM).

Sincerely,

Wolfgang
Seems like yours is a personal opinion rather than an answer to the original question. Your comment about Microsoft has nothing to do with this question. Then again I do not know whether you consider OS X to be in the same category as any of the Windows versions. More likely, the issue is about two operating systems that have the reputation of continuing to require computer upgrades with newer versions (planned obsolescence) . There is no attempt to provide an operating system for older computers. For example, I have a MacBook that was one of the early Intel based motherboards. It runs OS X 10.4. It is too old to run any of the current OS X operating systems (cost too much even if it could). For WiFi, it only uses WPA; so I can not use it to connect to any secure network even if I knew the password. Yet, Ubuntu runs fine on this laptop with WPA2 available. Another example, I had a laptop from 1998 running Windows 98SE with 180MB RAM. A couple of years ago, I could run Kubuntu with a desktop that would run on limited RAM amounts. That was 10 years after I got the laptop!

--Dan