On 05/06/2013 TCNS Customer Service - Gigi Baxter wrote:
This information may only relate to Open Office Base software. ...
Since version 2.4.0
when you click in the record search box, search for text box the contents of
the field are not selected. With version 2.4.0
when you open the dialog box, the contents of the field are selected. This
makes editing easy.
I tried the newer versions, and keep going back to version 2.4.0

Hello Gigi, it's not very clear to me where the problem is.

Could you open an issue on https://issues.apache.org/ooo (you will need to register there), set product to "Base" (then we will set other fields appropriately), provide a step-by-step description and, if at all possible, a screenshot of the "right" case (2.4.0) and one of the "wrong" (post-2.4.0) one? This will make it easier to investigate.

Regards,
  Andrea.