Sadly, using AOO on a stick directly is a very bad idea. If there is a crash
there is nothing to be done.
Better copy the file on the HD and once the work is done, move it back to the
stick (and delete the file of the HD afterward if necessary). If the transfer
fails, you still have the file on the HD.

NB: working with .doc is even worse in case of crash. Better stick to native
ODF (.odt for text).

The lock file is indeed a blank file that is created each time you open a file
so that no other user can overwrite it in the mean time.

Hagar