Hi,

On 19.02.2014 18:08, Brian Barker wrote:
At 15:41 19/02/2014 +0000, Gordon Snow wrote:
I am using Open Office 4.0.1 to edit a document loaded as a Microsoft
Word (.doc file) .

Adding marginal comments using Ctrl/Alt/C in the main text is
straightforward. Adding comments on a footnote is not. The RH slide
bar to move through text simply jumps repeatedly across the existing
screen text.

As a temporary measure, I have added an explanatory comment attached
to the footnote number in the main text, referring to the difficulty
and listing the changes I wanted made to the footnote itself. Is there
a neater way of doing this? Or have I uncovered a genuine bug in the
program?

I think you've discovered a bug in Microsoft Word!  It seems that it is
not possible to attach a comment to footnote text in Word, so there is
presumably no way to save such a  comment in a .doc file.  Whatever you
managed to do in OpenOffice, the comment would not reappear when you
reopened the .doc file.

I can confirm this.
No comments/annotations can be added to footnote's content in Microsoft Word 2003 or Microsoft Word 2013.

Best regards, Oliver.

Moral: always use the application's native format - here .odt.
Distribute finished documents as .pdf.  If your correspondents insist on
.doc files, they and you are limited by what can be saved in this format.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker