Thank you, Tom for the insight; however, if these people cannot send email from these type of email addresses, how did they get on the list to start with?

Tom Panfil wrote:
Hello OpenOffice Apache Moderators,

I don't want to unsubscribe from any of the three project lists to which I subscribe (users, dev, api) but like you, I've seen too many requests sent to the lists from people who want to unsubscribe. I assume that something is finally done administratively to unsubscribe their addresses since they eventually stop pestering.

Many people who are members of ACM or IEEE or other professional associations register using a Remailer Address serviced by the organization. The use of a Remailer Address enables provision of at least the following services by the organization:

 * Virus scanning of mail sent to the member's "Remailer Address"
 * Quarantining of S--- sent to the member's "Remailer Address"  --
   Note that I did not use the "S-Word" since using it might cause
   Verizon refuse to send the message considering it to be S----.
 * Forwarding of non-infected non-S--- messages to the member's ISP
   provided addresses.
 * Ease of changing of ISPs by simply registering a new ISP supplied
   e-mail address with the Remailer Service so that mail sent to the
   Remailer address is forwarded to the member's "new" current ISP
   provided address.  Correspondents need not be informed of the change
   of ISP.

These people *cannot* send from their Remailer Addresses. They can and usually do include their preferred Remailer Address in the Reply-To field of their message headers. Their e-mail messages are sent from their ISP provided addresses.

So, I think that a significant proportion of those who send to the list asking to be removed have tried sending to the address in the footer of the messages and were not removed from the list since they are subscribed with a Remailer Address. That address from which they are send is different from the address which is subscribed

I recommend that some mechanism be established for such subscribers to take action to be removed from OpenOffice Apache lists. The instructions they need should be provided in the footer with the other three instructions.

I can't imagine that *no* developers and maintainers of OpenOffice know of Remailer Addresses. How could this problem have festered so long? Does the project cadre really not know about Remailer Addresses? If you can maintain Apache projects you must be able to understand this dilemma now that I have explained it somewhat clearly, I think.

Note that I am subscribed via an IEEE Remailer address.

I'd no doubt have the same problem which these other poor souls have if I'd try to unsubscribe.

-----
No virus found in this message.