On 03/26/2014 07:15 PM, Greg Madden wrote:
/snip/
I have an archive of old WP docs, Libreoffice opens them. For work
I run WP* in a Windows vm, AOO for the rest.

LO uses:

Inst libwpd-0.9-9 (0.9.4-3 Debian:7.4/stable [amd64])
Inst libwpg-0.2-2 (0.2.1-1 Debian:7.4/stable [amd64])
Inst libwps-0.2-2 (0.2.7-1 Debian:7.4/stable [amd64])
The reason why, the libwp* libraries are licensed LGPL, which is
ineligible for Apache licensed products.

https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

Peace,

Greg
I think (don't know yet, but am going to try) that WordPerfect 7 is
supposed to be installable in WINE, so if you're using Linux, that's
worth a try. Or if you're using Windows, why not just buy the latest
Word Perfect? It's not that expensive, and it's easier to use (in my
opinion) than OO or LO. No "styles" to change your whole document
around when you least expect it!

--doug
Caveat, it has been a few years since I checked supported apps of WINE, eg: Codeweaver, Wordperfect was not on that list, A big reason multicore cpu's exist is virtualization support (AMD). I recommend this method over WINE, I use various flavors of Windows as needed to run legacy apps, WP8 is my favorite Windows version of Wordperfect, I still have a NT4/WP8 vm, sharing files from my Linux host, via samba. I still address envelopes this way, and the Presentation app is amazing how well it edits graphics. One concept of data archiving is having the application, OS, and hardware to access it, hence the vm. AOO as been spot on for document fidelity since the beginning, Star Office > Openoffice. LO has support for WP docs, reads my archived docs, 90+% fidelity. LO these days co-exists with AOO, in Linux, last choice. Peace, Greg ------------------------------------------- List Conduct Guidelines: http://openoffice.apache.org/list-conduct.html To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscr...@openoffice.apache.org For additional commands, e-mail: users-h...@openoffice.apache.org

I checked the WINE list today, and WP8 and WP11 are listed GOLD.
However, I looked at the WP8 stuff and found that it was dated 1996,
which was even before MS .doc 1997-2003, which is somewhat the
"standard" if there is one.  Office 11 is copyright 2003.

It turns out, when I looked, that I own WP Office 11, and I will try to
install that. It would really get my goat to have to install a whole Windows 7
inside a Linux distro to get one word processor to run. I know disk space
is cheap lately, but not _that_ cheap, since I have this system on an SSD.

--doug