A client asked me a question I am unable to answer, or find definite
information about. I suspect the answer will be "not possible", but
wanted to check with you folks first.

In mail merge and labels there is a work-around to skip empty lines, but
is there a hack to skip empty fields within an otherwise populated line?

The data file includes:
Title, Firstname, Joint, Partner, Surname, Label, Address1, Address2,
Suburb, State, Postcode.

Assuming a label design:
Title, Firstname, Joint, Partner, Surname,
Address1
Address2
Suburb, State Postcode.

Some recipients have partners and some do not. The field "Joint"
inserts "€œand Mrs"€. Some have house or property names which go in
"Address1".

Fully populated fields result in:

Mr Alpha and Mrs Bravo Smith
The Place
1 High Street
Somewhere Here 1234

But empty "Joint", "Partner" & "Address1" fields for single people
results in:

Mr Alpha (space) (space) (space) Smith
1 High Street
Somewhere Here 1234

FWIW. I am told (not been able to check) that in MS Works all empty
fields are skipped.

The solution I put forward was to put the partner name on a separate
line, left blank when not needed, but this does not satisfy the client's
requirements.

Any other thoughts, suggestions or pointers to a solution would be welcome.

TIA
Dave