While I have learned how to (use and) appreciate the Styles features, I agree that not everything in every given text document is prone to being "styled".

Sometimes it's just not worth spending the time required to define a new Style (or find a suitable one among those already defined), so it's simpler to change format on the fly. This is, I believe, where a "Reveal codes" option would be ideal.

Also, from my remote memories of WordPerfect, "Reveal codes" was necessary (in complex documents) for changes in page format, orientation, table dimensions, and other document options that went beyond "simple" word and paragraph formatting.

In general, and from a user's perspective, Styles are one example of how common users are encouraged (or forced? :-) to think ("program") and behave like computers. This is not necessarily the best way to ensure "user satisfaction".

So while I understand that Styles have a place in modern applications, I would appreciate it if program designers could make better efforts to grasp the average user's point of view. This, without limiting my gratitude to OO developers!!

marina
---
Italy or Australia?
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS X 10.6.8
@martadiello