On 05/17/2014 04:35 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

Does a list exist for OO users to vote for proposed future
functionalities?  I would like to vote for Reveal Codes.

Reveal Codes is a very useful tool.  It works independently of the "Style
rules" and does not require the user to take time to search "style rules"
then create or edit (causes changes in other documents?)

Logically, it seems the more "style rules" the less efficient  OO Writer.

Guess you could say, reveal codes is like lifting the hood of a vehicle to
change spark plugs.  While "style rules" feature is  similar to
re-configuring the vehicle to operate bypassing spark plugs (takes more
time and effort by the user).

Thanks for your patience -
Jack

I think I remember some very intense discussions about this a couple of
years ago, it was almost like some kind of war or something… Some people
said it will never happen since there is nothing to reveal (Apache
OpenOffice just doesn't work like that). Still someone managed to write an
extension that does this, I think. I guess it fakes it somehow. Some people
also think that it's not a good habit using them, and that styles is the
way to go and so on. Some people also says that it's a bad habit to use a
lot of character styles in text. So it seems like a lot of people are
against the idea of reveal codes while others want them. I don't know. I
have no use for them personally, so I don't care, but… well…

Johnny Rosenberg

It has been a long time since I tested the macro, so I don't remember what it showed and what it did not. If you really want to design this, then, it should likely not just be a duplicate of Word Perfect functionality. For example, what if....

My paragraph style sets character weight (that means how "BOLD" is it). Then, I manually set a bold amount, and, finally, I apply a character style that sets the character weight differently. Now, understand that if I do this in a macro, it is not as simple as bold is on or off, I can set a numeric value for it for all three of these things. This level of subtlety does not exist in the WP reveal codes stuff, it is merely on / off. This could be very confusing if I have the three bold settings so that they are all marginally bold (like say 90% bold, 100% bold, and 110% bold).

My head hurts now!

I assume that this feature (which would be cool to have) has likely not been seriously attempted for integration since a real implementation would require you to deal with these issues. Also, the macro version of the implementation is far from a working implementation. Think of it as a way to troll the code and then show an XML like version of the text in a dialog with certain change types shown; if my memory is correct.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php