Dan, like you, I am very tired of people talking about things such as the "content.xml file in the zipped ODT file" which doesn't seem to be a function in the standard tool bar such as Edit, Copy, Paste etc.

I do apologize for not being more clear about where I found the "codes" OO has that are similar to the WP codes. Open OO Writer, find the icon that looks similar to the manual (before computer) editing symbol for new paragraph. Click on it to expose the codes or simply ctrl+F10.

Thank you for your kind request for clarification
Jack