Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
You can try this extension
http://aoo-ui-extras.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/git/downloads/WordCountStatusbarController-0.0.1-windows-x86.oxt
It adds a word counter on the status bar.

It works nicely! Any reasons not to integrate it (as a preinstalled extension or directly as part of the source code, as you wish) directly in OpenOffice? License is OK and functionality is unobtrusive and useful.

I got the Linux-64 version from the Extensions site and OpenOffice froze just after installing it (I generated dummy text and selected some, and it froze without showing the "selected" count). But after restarting OpenOffice everything worked correctly. If you wish I can do further tests, but probably it was just a coincidence.

Regards,
  Andrea.