I had a free trial offer from Microsoft nearly a  year ago.  I never created
one document on it.  My then, very old Windows XP couldn’t support it.

I just finally managed to convert my WPS file to a doc file, using Apache Open
Office.

Now, when I attempt to open the file – a message from Microsoft disallows it --
 something like, “You are trying to use Microsoft Office,
but you don’t have it.”    A lease offer for Office is included with their
statement.

It has taken me such a long time to access my file.  It was absolutely never on
Microsoft Word.
  I have the file and a backup copy of the file and they both now have
Microsoft orange blocks next to the file names.

Does Microsoft own the file extention doc ?
Can anything be done?
I tried to reach a person to help me --  they’re all about signing me up for a
Word Processing Lease to solve my problem.