At 15:39 20/07/2014 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:
On 07/20/2014 02:34 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
Th[e]n you have been conned!

No, I haven't.

My comment was based only on what you *wrote*, of course, which was "The sort of thing you [sc. Mr Lambert] complain of is the reason many of us have turned to Linux". What was complained of by Mr Lambert was that Windows somehow saved files randomly instead of in predictable and controlled destination folders. It is simply untrue that any operating system does this, of course. If your reason for changing was indeed this untrue statement - as you told us - then you were surely conned.

I used Windows from almost the first days of Windows 3.0. It was quite usable, ...

I wasn't arguing for or against any operating system, of course - just suggesting that any decision should be made on the facts, not hilarious fiction. You have a large readership on a list such as this, and it's inappropriate that Mr Lambert's belief that OpenOffice behaves irrationally should be seen as true, let alone blamed irrelevantly on his operating system.

Then why is the OP having such a problem finding them [his saved documents]?

Probably because he takes insufficient care when saving them - imagining that somehow OpenOffice (or any other application) will guess where he wants them to be. My guess - and it is just that - is that he opens files from other sources (e-mail, shared drives, cloud drives, removable drives), modifies them, and then saves the resulting new documents without perhaps taking any care over where they are. His new document files will end up distributed all over his system.

Like in unzipping files? When you unzip a package, rather than one file, you never know where the rest of them went!

I know where they went. Other people know. If you didn't, the problem wasn't with your operating system.

(If you wanted to save a music file to a Documents directory, you could.)

Er, in any operating system.

I doubt it.

I'm glad you said that, since readers will be able to estimate your fluency with any operating system.

So then when you go to that clear space in the start system and enter a filename to find, how come it opens the file?

It doesn't. It lists the matching files on the Start menu - the panel above the box. You can open any of them if you wish.

Not only that, it opens the file in what IT thinks you should be working on it with!

Most people find associations helpful. If they didn't exist, you'd have to do two things to open any document: select (remember) and start the application as well as open the document. Again, that is a feature of all operating systems (applicable when you are choosing to open the document, as your declared technique implies).

I won't swear that it doesn't accept wildcards, but I don't think it does.

Dare I say you've been conned again? It will accept partial names, which is much the same. In any case, the proper way to find files and folders is via Windows' file manager (Windows Explorer or "Computer"); this accepts partial names, wildcards, what have you.

I am not one of those fanatics who have removed Windows from their computers.

Good - and I didn't suggest you were. I merely asked that you should not attempt to aggrandise your preferred system by misrepresenting another.

Brian Barker