On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:36:39 -0000, Carl W. Entemann <kokopel...@ncweb.com>
wrote:

For the record, I am preparing this problem description in  WordPad because I
cannot get Open Office installed on my IBM Thinkpad
  T30 with 2 meg of RAM.

After downloading the install software and running it I get the usual setup
messages and then I get the following screen:

I click OK and things proceed in what seems to be a normal manner until I get
this screen:

Can anything be done so that I can install Open Office??

you may try uninstalling microsoft visual c++ redistributable 2008 through the
contol panel and then attempting to install openoffice again. openoffice
includes the 2008 redistributable and the installed version may conflict with
the one to be installed.