At 22:54 01/01/2015 -0800, Allen Schaaf wrote:
Is there any way to display just the tab and paragraph marker without also displaying the space marker?

Not that I know of.

Also, is there any way to keep true paragraph markers and yet delete end of line markers?

There is no such thing as an "end of line marker", of course: text generally flows naturally between lines as appropriate. If instead you mean line breaks (as entered with Shift+Enter), then these can easily be deleted by searching for \n and replacing with nothing with "Regular expressions" ticked.

This is a problem I often have and have never found a way to do it. In W$%^ it is easy. I use ^p^p as the search term and # as the replacement. Then I delete all ^p markers. Then I find # and replace with ^p^p.

This suggests that instead of "end of line markers" and "true paragraph markers" you are describing text which has every line terminated by a paragraph break - in other words that each line is a separate paragraph - and that what you are actually considering to be paragraphs are separated by double paragraph breaks - in other words by an empty paragraph. Is that so?

I get a lot of documents that are double spaced and either triple spaced or double double spaced to indicate paragraph breaks.

Multiple spacing is not a problem: that can easily be adjusted.

Often scanned documents will have a paragraph marker at the end of every line that needs deleted for proper text flow when a page width is different than the original or I'm making a PDF for instant printing or a book layout.

This is not multiple spacing, of course - but inappropriate paragraph structure. But you are quite right that it is a frequent problem with material brought in from elsewhere - perhaps from a web document.

Currently I have to open the file in W$%^, do the paragraph thing and then finish my work in OO. Because I have to do this (looong documents) I still have to use Windoze and I'd like to move all this work to my FreeBSD machine.

Try this:
o Go to Format | AutoCorrect > | Apply. This should merge single-line paragraphs into the real paragraphs you need.
o Search for ^$ and Replace with nothing. This will remove empty paragraphs.
o Apply proper paragraph formatting (or, better still, paragraph style formatting) to create spacing before or after paragraphs.

Notes:

o You can adjust how the first technique operates at Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Options | Combine single line paragraphs if length greater than 50%. Select the option and click Edit... to adjust the percentage. Experiment (probably with smaller values) until you get the effect you need.

o The AutoCorrect facility can apply other changes that you may not want. You can avoid this by adjusting the AutoCorrect facility (as above), or using Apply and Edit Changes instead and then choosing the changes to accept. But the simplest way is probably to carry out this procedure on your text first, before you do any other formatting, and then to use Format | Default Formatting (or Ctrl+M) to undo anything you don't want.

o In extreme cases (your "double double spacing"), you may need to alternate the suggestions above.

o Your description above suggests that you still use empty paragraphs in your final version to space your material vertically. It is much better to use proper paragraph spacing.

Incidentally, this is how I advised you last April; I think the advice still holds!

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker