Hi Dennis:

Yes, you have interpreted my meaning very nicely.

OK; a calendar pop out (1) or an utility (2) would be a welcomed addition to AOO Calc.

Does a feature exist whereby I can insert Today's Date into a Calc cell?

I've yet to begin to play with AOO Base.

Regards,
Vince_B.

Let me try my understanding and perhaps help to calibrate what you are after.

  1. Consider a button that would pop out a small calendar in the usual format,
with navigation from month to month and the typical 4-5 rows of date numbers
against days of the week.  There might also be some convenience for navigating
to distant months that do not have the current date.

Clicking on a date would cause the specified date to inserted into a
currently-selected cell.  Closing the calendar without clicking would not make
an entry.  If the calendar pop-out is kept active, other dates could be
selected into other cells.

  2. Another pop-out might be more like a calculator that works with dates.
That is more of a stretch.  Some of your examples suggest that kind of activity.

  Q1. With regard to (1), which might be an interesting exercise for creation
of an extension, I wonder how close one can get already by the ways that
date-formatted cells accept abbreviated entries.  For example, entering a month
and day, such as 01-28 (today in my locale settings) can automatically enter a
full calendar date in the current year.  This is commonplace.  I don't know
what would happen if I entered just 28 when the cell is already formatted to
contain a date.

I know this is not the same as being able to look at a calendar and use the
orientation that provides to help us determine a past or future date.  Is it
any saving of effort, so long that you have a calendar handy?

  Q2. Would a utility that ran outside of OpenOffice Calc that provided (1),
and put a full calendar date (and even times converted from the local time)
onto the clipboard for pasting into a document of any kind, including Calc
cells be a step in the right direction that would give you some of the working
efficiency you care about?

Note that I have omitted consideration of date calculations since those are
easily accomplished with Calc already, just as calculations among other cell
entries.  It takes some understanding of cell formatting for date-times and for
time intervals, but there is extensive support in Calc already.

  - Dennis

PS: For any follow-up, please reply to users @ openoffice.apache.org where
other experts may have advice and others can learn the solutions to common
problems.  The OpenOffice Forums have an extensive knowledge base at
https://forum.openoffice.org/,