Hi Steve.

Pressing 'return' in Writer is not about inserting a newline, its about
starting a new paragraph. Just Newline is 'shift-return' - since normally
writer does all newlines dynamically the typical user needs a new paragraph
far more often than a new line - writer is not a old-fashioned typewriter.

That said there are 2 solutions:
1. use shift-return
2. change the paragraph style so that no extra space is added:
   Format/Paragraph, then enter 0 at "Spacing above/below".

I CCed it to your email address, since I do not know wether you subscribed to
the mailing list - please be sure to answer to the mailing list, if you answer.

klaus

Am 03.03.2015 um 06:52 schrieb S F:
[...]

> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing. So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.
>
> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer; it automatically seems to
> double space. I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!
>
> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Freundliche Grüße
--
Klaus Muth
HAGOS eG                   Industriestr. 62     fon:   (+49) 711 78805-7086

HAGOS Verbund deutscher Kachelofen- und Luftheizungsbauerbetriebe eG
Sitz:                      Stuttgart
Rechtsform:                Genossenschaft
Registergericht:           Stuttgart GnR 77
Vorstände:                 Guido Eichel, Ralf Tigges
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Thomas Müller
USt.-ID-Nr.:               DE 147799748