Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Take it easy, everyone
>
> For those reading at home, note that, from Keith's message headers (which
> your
> reader might not show you),

>    Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35
>
> Indicates that the sender is using Firefox to send a PGP signature via
> Firefox
> to GMane and from there to the Users list at oo.a.o, each list manager doing
> whatever it does whatever it does when it encounters such a signature.
>
> Finally not all email readers recognize these, even with no suspects
> in-between the sender and receiver.  My reader recognizes that it was signed
> but I have not installed any plug-in to handle that protocol ID.
>
> SO the sender has no idea what intermediary lost the signature binding, and
> the receiver has no idea whether the signature was good when the message
> started its wanderings through two list systems and reached his mail reader
> which, like mine, might only recognize X.509 digital signatures without being
> given a way to check others.
>
> One can check what the users@ oo.a.o software makes of the message at
> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-users/201509.mbox/%3Cmtefh2%24b7m%241%40ger.gmane.org%3E>.
> Notice it too separates the appended signature as if it is an attachment.
> If you look at the "raw" message, you might notice that this is not in a
> format that can be checked directly with GnuPG because of differences in
> boundary markers and other details,
> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-users/201509.mbox/raw/%3cmtefh2$b7m$1...@ger.gmane.org%3e>,
>
>  - Dennis
>
> PS: Senders, if you want your signed message to pass through the maze of
> intermediaries with a chance of being verifiable, write a text file, sign it
> (asci-armored) as a text file using an implementation of OpenPGP, such as
> GnuPG.  And paste the whole ascii-armored text into a blank, unsigned email
> message. Intermediaries will usually leave the content intact enough to be
> verifiable by a recipient who knows how to check the text with GnuPG.
>   Or take the easy way and realize reality does not match every expectation
> and don't bother to sign messages to public mailing lists.

Dennis;
Actually my signature is created by GNUPG via the gpg4win variant. I use
SeaMonkey's mail/news client with the enigmail add-on to manage OpenPGP
signing and encryption. I have my enigmail options set to use pgpmime
which will send the sig as an attachment. I have done it this way on
purpose so that people who do not use an OpenPGP compliant mail
client,which includes most web-mail implementations, do not have to wade
through the begin and end data that would get added otherwise.

I do apologize to the rest of the list for my rather heated reply.
However this is not my first go around with the individual so I
unfortunately let my personal feelings overrule my better judgement.

Regards
Keith