You can change the default application without uninstalling Apache OpenOffice.

 1. To uninstall Apache OpenOffice, use the Control Panel and the provision
under Programs for uninstalling.
    This may or may not restore the preferences.

 2. You can change the default preferences for what application opens a file
this way.
    Find a .doc file in your File Explorer in Windows.  Right click on the
entry.  Choose the Open With ... on the context menu that comes up.  It should
give you a list of programs Windows expects might work.  Be sure to check the
"Use this program as the default" and select Microsoft Word, which should be
listed.
    Do this for all of .docx, .ppt, .pptx, etc., using a file of that kind.

If you do not see file extensions (.doc, .ppt, etc) on your version of Windows,
you will need to make those visible.  If you specify which version of Microsoft
Windows you are running, we can help you about that.

 - Dennis

Please reply to <users@openoffice.apache.org>.  If I receive a reply directly
to me, I take that as permission to forward to users@ as I see fit, where the
community can benefit and also contribute to a solution for you.