Thanks Brian - now I understand the reasoning behind this approach.

On 6/6/2016 10:45 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 10:26 06/06/2016 -0700, Ron Patterson wrote:
I start by going to my desktop Open Office icon and clicking and I get the usual 8 choices of programs.

These are not separate programs but different types of document all able to be handled by the single OpenOffice program.

If I have open either a new text document I can not click on the icon and open a new spreadsheet. And vice versa.

You can - but not by going back to the start screen you describe.

Clicking on the AOO icon while one program is open makes the icon inoperable to select and open any other new program.

Like most modern programs, OpenOffice detects that it is already open and invites you to reuse the existing instance instead of (wastefully) creating a separate instance.

How can I have open a spreadsheet and then open a new text document program at the same time? Or vice versa?

Simple: go to File | New > or click the down-arrow to the right of the New button in the Standard toolbar. You will see the menu of available document file types.

Note that OpenOffice is an integrated suite, unlike some products such as Microsoft Office - which is merely a collection of separate programs.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker