First question, since I know little to nothing about this that is not many years out of date:

Q1: Are you able to insert other video formats? The obvious OGG Vorbis format comes to mind.

If you can embed other formats, then....

MP4 is just a container, do you know what codec is used to encode the contained video? It is similar to saying that you cannot play the video contained in a ZIP file. OK, so the comparison is not really good, but....

If the codec used is not supported, then for certain you cannot do it.

I spend little to no time doing this sort of thing, but, I believe that you can use a program called "mediainfo", but I would first check to see if your OS supports just giving you that information with an already installed tool:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Again, I have NOT tried these two programs, but I found it listed in the following article that lists five tools to find out about the codecs used

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/determine-audio-video-codec-required-to-play-downloaded-movies/

Now, that said, give this a read:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44180