Catalan Bird Tours wrote:
> Hi all
>

> After using the word processing component of OO for some time without
> issue, I'm now re-trying to use the DATABASE component.  Although I now
> have Sierra on my Macbook, this function has never worked on other OS
> versions either.
>
> After saving my new database file on the desk top I get this message which
> I don't understand at all:
>
> "Open Office requires a JAVA runtime envionment (JRE) to run this task. The
> selected JRE is defective.  Please select another version or install a new
> JRE and select it under TOOLS - OPTIONS - OPEN OFFICE - JAVA."
>
> There are no OPTIONS under TOOLS on the top menu of OO.
>
> I have installed the latest JAVA (update 101).
>
> I'd be grateful to anyone who can help me get the database function working
> or, perhaps, direct me to another free or cheap database software for Mac
> (Sierra).
>
> Stephen Christopher

Stephen;

This is an Known Issue with Oracle Java on OS X systems without the
legacy Apple Java 6 installed. The work around until the Oracle Java bug
is fixed is to install the legacy Apple Java from the following
link:https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572.

It is also documented in the Release Notes for Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3
at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.3+Release+Notes#AOO4.1.3ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues
and for version 4.1.2 at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Release+Notes#AOO4.1.2ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues