On Fri, 25 Nov 2016, James Knott wrote:

AOO supports both backup copies and autorecovery.

That's true, but the support could be more robust.

I found this for AOO 3:

<<
Save AutoRecovery information every

Choose whether to enable AutoRecovery and how often to save the information used by the AutoRecovery process.

AutoRecovery in OpenOffice.org overwrites the original file. If you have also chosen Always create backup copy, the original file then overwrites the backup copy. If you have this set, recovering your document after a system crash will be easier; but recovering an earlier version of the document may be harder.

So there's a trade-off. Has this changed recently?

And what are the default settings? More than once I've discovered that I did not have backup and timed AutoRecovery enabled, although I thought that I did.

The Emacs text editor creates timed autosave and multiple numbered backup copies by default and can then be flexibly configured. I've often wished that applications like AOO would do the same.

- Robert