On 01/27/2018 12:05 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 10:28:51 -0800
Girvin Herr <ghe...@fastmail.com> wrote:

JD,

Are you trying to run AOO from a shell command line or in an xterm
inside your desktop?

If the former, keep in mind AOO requires a desktop (xfce, kde, etc) to
run under (unless you are trying to run as "headless"). I don't know
what AOO will do running from a shell command line without a desktop and
without the headless option.

I checked my Slackware Linux system and there is no soffice symlink in
/usr/bin. I did find a /usr/bin/openoffice4 script which runs
/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice "$@". So you might try running
/usr/bin/openoffice4 instead of /usr/bin/soffice.

Try running openoffice4 from an xterm in your desktop and see if there
are any messages spit out on the xterm. If so, the message may give you
a hint.

HTH.

Girvin Herr
This posting on the OO Forum gives a solution for running OO 4.1.5 on Fedora
27.  It may be of assistance.

RoryOF

Not really. A lib was missing, and after I installed, all is now well.