On 23/02/18 9:49 AM, Jordan Wright wrote:
To Whom It May Concern,

I was needing some assistance with understanding the computer language present
in the guide for recovering damaged OpenOffice files from the official guide
that is accessible through the link below:

Well I assume you have the qualifications as mentioned in the Troubleshooting_guide:

 * The steps outlined assume the user has some basic technical skills.

https://www.openoffice.org/documentation/HOW_TO/misc/Troubleshooting_guide.html#8.Recovering%20content%20from%20a%20damaged%20OpenOffice.org%20file%20|outline

What I am struggling to understand is what step 6 is referring to when it talks
about “contents.xml” and how I may go about retrieving it.

If you are at Step 6 I assume you remember what you have done at Step 3

 * Replace the contents.xml file in the directory created in Step 5
   with the contents.xml from the damaged file unpacked in Step 3.

Well you should look in the directory you have created in Step where the unzipped files are as explained in Step 3

   Also, am I correct to assume that the “directory” in Step 2 can be as simple
as creating a folder on a desktop?

This terminology is part of the basic technical skills you need to have before you start. With a simple search on Google you find this web page <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory>.

  Overall, a lot of the computer lingo in the guide are terms I am not familiar
with.

Overall, I would like to request being walked through the guide if it is
possible and convenient enough to do so. I have already tried perusing the Help
Forum and it doesn’t appear there is any clarification there on either issues.

Best,
Jordan Wright

Sent from Mail for Windows 10