I have been compiling a database in Open Office for several years on my
MacBook, originally with operating system Lion. There are now more than
5,000 entries.   From early days with Lion the icons at the top of the
Table have gone pale and do not work.  The icons are:

Select all,  Print,  Save current record,  Cut,  Copy,  Paste,  Undo:data
input,  Apply filter.

The relevant parts of the File menu have also gone pale and do not work.

The icon and File menu work perfectly well with the other Open Office
documents I occasionally use.

I have this year updated to the newest operating system, High Sierra but
nothing has changed to cure the trouble.  An adviser at my local Apple
shop suggested  I get in touch with you - which I find no easy matter.  In
the matter of the present slowness and erratic and unpredictable behaviour
of my MacBook he  suggested going back to Lion as the hardware is probably
not altogether compatible with High Sierra.  This information probably has
little bearing upon my difficulty but may be of interest.

I hope someone can help me, technically illiterate though I be.

My preferred email address is not the above but

philip.s...@cantab.net