Hi,

My username is BobJames40

I used to be able to write and open files with OpenOffice software, although I
don’t use it very much.  I cannot remember the last time I used it
successfully, but it was probably before I upgraded the MacBook to High Sierra.
I am now running version 10.13.5.  I have version 4.1.5 of OpenOffice.  My
MacBook is a mid 2010 model.
I log on as the Administrator when using my MacBook.  When I try to open a file
the OpenOffice icon appears in the Dock with the small dot flashing underneath,
but after a few seconds it disappears and the file does not open. The same
thing happens if I try to open from the OpenOffice icon in the Applications
folder.
Having looked at some of the help on your forum I noticed a comment about
logging on as a Guest user.  I set this up (not having done this before) and I
find that I can use OpenOffice this way.
I do not understand why I cannot use OpenOffice when logged on as the
Administrator.  Can you suggest how I can overcome this problem, please?

Bob James